Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Tsourekei" and Red Eggs for Easter





"Tsoureki" is the traditional Easter Bread in Greece and many of the other Balkan countries as well. If you have never had it, you are missing a real treat. It is a very light bread with a thin crust and has a slightly sweet, and sometimes slightly almond taste. I myself have never attempted to make it, as it seems pretty labor intensive, and my talents lie much more with cooking then baking. (I think it is because I don't like to take directions!)
Tsoureki (tsoo-REH-kee)is the traditional bread of Greek Easter. Tsoureki is a rich yeast bread flavored with orange and a delightful spice called Mahlab (also called Mahlepi) that is ground from the pits of wild cherries. You can find Mahlab online or at ethnic grocery stores specializing in Greek or Middle Eastern products.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers